Renault has had production facilities in Slovenia (Revoz plant in Novo mesto) since 1872.

Nationals of all EU and EEA (European Economic Area) Member States have free access to the labour market in Slovenia. If you are a citizen of EU or EEA member states, work permit to enter the Slovenian labour market is not required, and you can apply for job vacancies under equal conditions. The employer is obligated to register you into the obligatory pension, invalidity, health and unemployment insurance within 8 days of the date of signing the employment contract.

If you are posted to work in Slovenia by a "foreign" employer, the later is obligated (based on working contract concluded in your country) to ensure you minimal working and employment conditions compatible with Slovenian regulations.

If you are a non EU citizen, you may gain employment in Slovenia only on the basis of a work permit, which is issued in accordance with Slovenian national legislation.

Work or employment for foreigners in Slovenia is only possible if the foreigner is in possession of a work permit. 

Job vacancies

Job vacancies are published on the Employment Service of Slovenia  and EURES  web-sites. They are also published in the daily newspapers (Delo, Dnevnik, Večer, Primorske novice, Gorenjski glas, Dolenjski glas…).

Job brokering is performed through the Employment Service of Slovenia or private employment agencies owning a concession issued by the Ministry of Labour, Family and Social Affairs. Those agencies are not allowed to demand any payment from job seekers for finding employment.


Work permit

EU citizens are under European law equal to domestic workers or jobseekers in respect of employment and job search. Citizens of EU member states (old and new) and EEA (Norway, Lichtenstein, Iceland) do NOT need a work permit for employment and work in Slovenia. 

Workers outside of the EU are employed in accordance with the Employment and Work of Aliens Act  and ensuing regulations. A work permit is, as a rule, issued on employers` request, so you need to find the employer who is willing to employ you first. An employer will obtain the work permit only under certain conditions. The most important condition is that there are no suitable candidates registered at the Employment Service of Slovenia and that the employment is not causing any disturbances in the Slovenian labour market.

Further information about the types of work permits can be found on the Employment Service of Slovenia website  where all forms or applications for particular types of work permits are accessible; the website also lists all supporting documents to accompany the application. But, unfortunately, all the relevant information is in Slovene only.

Residence permit

If you intend to stay in Slovenia for a period of more than three months, a residence permit is needed. An application for a residence permit can be made at the local Administrative unit with valid passport, or identity card. In the case of planned employment, you must submit confirmation from your employer that he will employ you or proof of employment (an employment contract) and, in the case of study, self-employment or retirement, evidence thereof. You must also provide proof that you have a secure means of subsistence and compulsory health insurance.

Recognition of Education and Qualifications

Before deciding to work in Slovenia, it is advisable to find out if your profession is regulated in Slovenia. If you want to pursue the regulated profession (doctor, nurse, pharmacist, teacher…), the standard application for the recognition of qualifications needs to be submitted to the Ministry of Labour, Family and Social Affairs.

More information can be found at the Ministry's website:

If you have gained a particular education abroad and would like to have it recognised send your application to the Ministry of Education, Science and Sport. 


An economic activity may be performed in Slovenia by a natural or legal entity taking one of a number of legal organisational forms. Natural entities perform business operations as sole traders. For legal entities, several forms of company are recognised in Slovenia.  Entrepreneurs may start to operate their business once they are registered as an economic subject and fulfil the special conditions which differ depending on their main business. This means that an entrepreneur may start up a craft establishment upon obtaining a craft licence.

e-VEM  (acronym for ‘everything in one place’) is a support for future sole proprietors, which allows them to be able to start up in the shortest time possible, is provided by the government portal for commercial subject. The e-VEM portal offers various services.

Taxes and charges on labour

A monthly social security contribution and advance payment on income tax is paid by employees out of their salaries. Income tax is paid by residents of Slovenia. You are a resident of Slovenia if:

  • your permanent place of residence is in Slovenia,
  • your usual place of residence or the centre of your personal and economic interests is in Slovenia,
  • you spent more than 183 days in total in Slovenia during one tax year,
  • you reside outside Slovenia due to employment in a diplomatic body, consulate and similar.

Tax obligations are determined by income brackets. In assessing advance income tax some tax relief is allowed, e.g. for supported children or other family members.

Taxed incomes are all incomes of Slovene residents with a source of income in Slovenia as well as abroad, and incomes of a non-resident with a source of income in Slovenia.

Every person liable to tax has a tax number.

Further information:

Working time

Full working time is fixed on a weekly basis and usually amounts to 40 hours a week. It can be less but not under 36 hours a week. Where there is a great risk of injury or harm to health, full working time may be under 36 hours a week. Full working time may not be spread over less than four days a week.
The 30-minute break is included in the working time.

Maternity leave

Maternity leave lasts 105 days. Mother receives maternity compensation defined upon the average of wages paid off in the last twelve month period.
Father has a right to paternity leave in length of 90 days.
One of the parents has a right to child care leave in order to look after or care for a child for a period of 260 days immediately upon expiry of maternity leave.