Checklist for before and after you arrive in a country

Celica (The Cell) youth hostel in Ljubljana. Photo: UKOM archive

As a citizen of the European Union you may enter the Republic of Slovenia on a valid identity card or passport, regardless of the cause or objective of the journey.

If you do not stay in a tourist, lodging or accommodation facility (usually with private individuals or with your acquaintances), you have to register with the competent police station personally within three days of crossing the border. If you stay in a tourist or lodging facility, the accommodation provider must register you with the competent police station within 12 hours and if you stay in an accommodation facility, the accommodation provider must register you with the competent police station within three days. This means that a foreigner comes to the police station (or is brought there by an acquaintance) and registers his temporary residence. The police officer fills in the registration form based on the valid identity document and enters the person into the central register of the Ministry of the Interior .

You do not require a permit to reside in the Republic of Slovenia for a period of up to three months. Nor do you require a residence permit if you are employed in Slovenia as a cross-border worker (i.e. a person who lives in one EU country but works in another and goes home once a week).

Registration of residence

If you take up residence in Slovenia at a specific address and location, you must request a residence permit and register your residence and any change of address – as well as deregister when you leave Slovenia - with one of the administrative units. Persons under the age of 18 are registered or deregistered by their parents or guardians or the individuals with whom those persons permanently reside.

You must attach to your application for residence permit evidence that you are entitled to reside at the address that you are registering, such as evidence of ownership, guaranteed regular income, pension, employment and other sources of income. Through alien registration of residence based on a permit to reside in Slovenia you will receive a national identity number (EMŠO) from the Central Population Register, which serves as the basis for arranging tax, bank and other business within Slovenia. Further information on the conditions governing the grant of residence permits for EU nationals is available from the Migration Directorate of the Ministry of the Interior .

After obtaining an EMŠO you can register, notify a change of address and deregister your residence via the national “e-Government ” web portal.

Administrative units are normally open each weekday.

Registration of employment

You do not require a work permit if you wish to take up work in Slovenia and are a national of an EU Member State. Special employment registration governed by civil law is no longer required.

If you are appointed by a legal entity, registered in the EU, EEA or Swiss Confederation, to come to Slovenia to perform services, your employer has to provide the Employment Service with the completed form ZRSZ-TUJ-5 prior to the beginning of work. This form ensures that your status is arranged in the country of the employer.