The Črni Kal viaduct, the longest and highest viaduct in Slovenia.

Slovenia has a well-developed road network that is safe for travel.  Highways connect to neighboring cities and countries and are clearly sign-posted. Traffic moves on the right; road signs and traffic rules are consistent with those used throughout Europe.

The implementation of the principle of free movement of people, is one of the cornerstones of our European construction, has meant the introduction a series of practical rules to ensure that citizens can travel freely and easily to any Member State of the European Union. Travelling across the EU with one’s car has become a lot less problematic. The European Commission has set a series of common regulations governing the mutual recognition of driving licences, the validity of car insurance, and the possibility of registering your car in a host country.

Driving licence

There is currently no common EU driving licence in place, but the EU Member States have introduced a “Community Model” driving licence. This common model ensures that driving licences issued by different EU countries are easily recognised in other Member States. A principle of mutual recognition is generally applied. Old driving licences issued before 1996 do not have to be exchanged for the new Community Model driving licence and remain valid until their expiration.

If an EU citizen takes up residence in another Member State, it is not necessary to exchange the driving licence, although many often do for practical reasons. In the event of expiry, loss or theft, a new driving licence can be issued in the Member State of residence, in accordance to national conditions.

As a new resident of Slovenia you may apply to exchange your driver's license for a Slovene driver's license after being in the country for six months, up until you have been a resident for one year.  Under this procedure you must pass the practical driving exam and a medical exam.

If one year has already elapsed since you as a new resident have arrived in Slovenia, then you must also take the driver's education course and pass a driving theory exam.

If you do not have a driver's license from another European Union member state, then you do not need to obtain an international license in order to drive in Slovenia.  To obtain an International Driver's License in your home country, contact your local Automobile Association office.

Registering your car

In the event you reside in Slovenia and drive your car for more that six months, you will be obliged to register the car with the local authorities and pay the registration tax.

Car Insurance

Slovene third party liability insurance is mandatory for all vehicles. The annual fee for this insurance is based upon the power of the vehicle's engine as measured in kilowatts. There is often a discount available if you can provide a certificate from your previous insurance provider(s) confirming your continuous safe driving record for up to the previous ten years.

EU citizens can insure their car in any EU country, as the insurance will be valid throughout the Union, no matter where the accident takes place.


In an Emergency

If your car breaks down, call 1-987 for roadside assistance and towing.


In an Accident

If you are involved in an accident, call 113 for police and/or 112 for an ambulance or fire truck. Note that the police routinely conduct breathalyzer tests on all drivers involved in accidents, regardless of whom they suspect is at fault.

If major damage has occurred, do not move your vehicle. The police will wish to survey the accident scene as-is.

Obtain the name, contact information, and insurance information from the other driver(s) involved in the accident.

At the bottom of your mandatory Slovene liability insurance documents are a series of perforated coupons. If you give one of these coupons to another driver, then it is an admission of your liability and responsibility for the accident. The other driver can use the coupon to pay for vehicle repairs and medical treatment. Before giving or accepting one of these coupons, you should wait for the police to arrive and for the paperwork to be completed. As soon as practical, you should also inform your car insurance company.

Road Rules

The speed limit is 50 kph/30 mph in urban areas, 130 kph/80 mph on expressways.

All motor vehicles must use their passing lights when travelling on all roads, even in daylight. Fog lights can be used when visibility is reduced to less than 50 metres.

The use of handheld cellular telephones while driving is prohibited in Slovenia.

The maximum blood-alcohol limit permitted is 0.05. Anyone suspected of driving or attempting to operate a vehicle when under the influence of alcohol or drugs must submit to a breath test or a medical examination. MORE INFO 



A police can impose a fine on the spot for traffic violations; if the fine is paid within 8 days it is reduced by 50%. Foreign drivers who refuse to pay a fine on the spot can have their passport and other documents taken from them and can be brought before a police court judge. MORE INFO 

Mandatory Equipment

All vehicles must carry a European-standard first aid kit, a spare set of light bulbs, a reflective warning triangle in case of a break-down, and a European accident statement form (available from your car insurance company). We recommend that you also carry a blanket and shovel in your car during winter months.

From 15 November to 15 March and, beyond these dates, during winter weather conditions (e.g. during snowfalls, black ice, etc.) Slovene law requires all vehicles to be equipped with snow tires or have snow chains in car boot. The minimum tyre tread depth must be 3 mm. Vehicles over 3.5 t must have winter tyres at least on the driving wheels or summer tyres on all four wheels + snow chains in car boot. This regulation also applies to vehicles with foreign registration plates but only during winter weather conditions (e.g. during snowfalls, black ice, etc.)

Vignette system on Motorways

From 1 July 2008 onwards, purchase of a vignette is obligatory for use of a toll road  with a vehicle whose permissible maximum weight does not exceed 3.500 kg, regardless of the maximum weight of a trailer. MORE INFO